Friday, October 2, 2009

Wikipedia

My freshman year of college I was fortunate enough to have a teacher who assigned the project of creating a Wikipedia entry. At the time, I was unaware of Wikipedia so it was a great learning project. I chose to write my submission about vintage warbird restoration because my father had been restoring airplanes for years, and I had payed attention.
Wikipedia did not have this subject or really anything else close at the time so it was a good opportunity to bring awarness and insight to warbird restoration.

Despite the bad rap Wikipedia gets about being a bad resource to use, I was absolutely impressed by how thorough the Wiki staff was at checking my sources and editing my work. Within a week, several different users had added more concrete information to the page.

With this in mind, the notion that Wikipedia creates a somewhat Democratic playing field for people to share their expertise is absolutely true. I would much rather learn about something as indepth as warbird restoration from people who are in and around it then from someone who has only researched the subject and has no first hand experience.



http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vintage_warbird_restoration

No comments:

Post a Comment