Wednesday, December 9, 2009

Research posters


This past Monday I was able to take part in my Com 435's research poster presentation. While I had no idea what to really expect, I was truly blown away by my classmates creativeness and ability to concisely relay a message via a poster board. There were ideas ranging from cyborg insects, to biomedical implants, and all of them were fresh and innovative.

Through the use of Twitter on my mobile device, I was able to give feedback to people who I thought went above and beyond on their project. It was very neat to be able to relay messages instantaneously via my phone, and share the thoughts with my classmates. This project easily showed the wonders of the capabilities we are now inabled with in this day in age.

After writing my final paper of the class on the topic of retinal implants, I spent quite a bit of time debating over whether or not I wanted to continue with this subject and do my poster for this Friday on it as well.

For a little background on the subject,the retinal implant works to target diseases such as retinitis pigmentosa, which is the leading cause of inherited blindness in the world, and age-related macular degeneration, which is the leading cause of blindness in the industrialized world. Through an implantable microelectronic prosthesis, visual messages will be relayed directly to the brain giving vision to those who previously went without.
http://www.bostonretinalimplant.org/

Although this technology is cutting edge and very impressive, I really would like to learn about another emerging technology so I guess I have a big decision ahead of me

No comments:

Post a Comment